About Beverley Jones
Beverley’s experience has been gained both in private practice and in a statutory body. Whilst her private sector experience was broad, she developed a specialism in employment and equality law. In London at Bindman & Partners this included both race and sex discrimination litigation. Bindman's were legal advisors to the Commission for Racial Equality. Thereafter at the Equal Opportunities Commission for Northern Ireland Beverley specialised in sex discrimination law.
In 1992 Beverley was appointed as an expert to the European Commission and this led to a Working Document on the Memorandum for Equal Pay for Work of Equal Value passed in June 1994. She also drafted a Code of Practice for the European Commission on this issue. This was published in June 1997 for use throughout the European Union and formed the basis for the Northern Ireland Code of Practice on Equal Pay. In recent years equal pay has become one of the significant issues in the public sector and she advises extensively in this area particularly on the issue of Single Status in Councils.
Beverley is described in the Chambers UK legal directory as a “leader in the field” of employment law and this has highlighted for “her encyclopaedic knowledge of employment and equality law. She is well versed in the full range of employment law, including equal pay claims, TUPE matters and staff transfer issues.” Beverley has recently delivered a seminar at the UK Employment Judges Conference in May 2015. The participants were all judges from the Employment Appeal Tribunal and the GB and NI tribunals.
- LLB - Birmingham University, England
- LLM - Queen's University of Belfast, Northern Ireland, subject Human Rights and Anti-discrimination law.
- Qualified solicitor with over 30 years practice in both England and Northern Ireland.
- Qualified to practice and holds a current practising certificate for Northern Ireland.
- Accredited mediator
Membership of Professional Organisations
- Former Chairman of the NI Employment Lawyers Group and current member of the Committee.
- Member of the Law Societies of both England and Northern Ireland.
- Member of the Disability Discrimination Representation and Advice Project.
- Member of the Discrimination Law Project.