Successful Negotiating Skills: Getting to Yes
Industrial unrest in Ireland is on the increase after a recession that lasted years kept a lid on expectations. Whether or not your organisation is unionised, negotiation skills are a central and ongoing part of your job as a Human Resources professional.The objective of this workshop is to provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to effectively and successfully negotiate or bargain across a range of work-related scenarios.
Why is this event important for YOU?
- Are you engaged in individual or collective type negotiations?
- Do you have to make job offers, pay\bonus offers or undertake performance reviews?
Whether you are negotiating the standard pay rise (or cut) round or are undertaking normal, everyday bargaining exchanges – this workshop will improve your chances of success.
The cost of failed negotiations is often too costly to contemplate. Effective negotiations are the bedrock upon which successful individuals, organisations, trade unions and economies are built. When engaged in negotiations - where your skill-set as a negotiator can prevent losses, increase gains or enhance circumstances for you and your constituents - it is crucial that you get it right. We’ll show you how.
After attending you will:
Whilst this event will alert you to some negotiating shortcuts, tricks and techniques, it will also enable you to gain a deeper insight into how the person or people across the table think and act\react. With this insight, you'll gain the benefit of proven techniques to effectively deal with every phase of the negotiating process.
So, delegates attending this one-day workshop style training course will benefit from the following range of learning outcomes:
- How to plan the negotiation encounter
- How to create a win: win situation in the most trying or demanding of circumstances
- How to be assertive and, if appropriate aggressive, during the negotiation process
- How to progress negotiations from the preliminary and preparatory phases to the successful conclusion\closing stage
More value from this event
This isn't a sit-back-and-listen training course. It will be conducted on a highly interactive and participative basis, including the active involvement of participants via a practical case study and template documents/checklists for negotiation purposes.
With an interactive workshop format, you'll have the opportunity to pose all those questions that are on your mind pertaining to the negotiating process and you’ll leave equipped with the tools used in the art of successful negotiations.
Course overview/outline programme
- Effective planning for successful negotiations
- Using assertiveness to get the best deal
- Identifying and deploying the right bargaining strategies and tactics
- Adopting a collaborative approach to ensure trust, rapport and long term gains for both parties
- The ‘unwritten rules’ of the negotiating process
- The key criteria for successful negotiations
- Getting the stages of negotiation right: Preparing, Opening, Bargaining and Closing
- The skill set or attributes of an effective negotiator
- The key roles in the negotiation team
- How to distinguish win: win from win: lose and lose: lose negotiation situations
- Negotiating styles and strategies
Who is it for? This one-day training programme is designed for all those involved in the negotiation or bargaining process, in their role or capacity as a new (or even experienced) line/function manager, HR practitioner, workplace representative or trade union official.
NOTE: This workshop is designed in a manner that makes it suitable for participants from all backgrounds/organisation types.
When and where?
9.30am - 4.30pm on Thursday 20th September 2018
Radisson Blu Hotel, Dublin Airport
Early Bird Rate: €375 (Deadline Friday 10th August 2018)
Standard rate: €425
Save an additional €20 if you pay online when booking.
"The Negotiation Skills training session was really useful. Gerry is able to put everything in clear and concise terms and share his insights, opinions, tips and also provide advice on specific topics. On top of all this, he has a great sense of humour, which made the session all the more enjoyable. Wholeheartedly recommend!"
Daniela Maskova, HR Business Partner, Welocalize
"I found the course to be very informative even for someone like myself you have some experience in the field already. Gerry was very engaging and his tutorial style was very good. He has immense experience on the topic and is a practitioner himself. I would highly recommend the course to both HR professionals and Union Officials alike."
Tony Martin, Industrial Relations Officer, IMPACT Trade Union
Dr Gerard McMahon HR & Employee Relations Lecturer
Dublin Institute of Technology
Gerry McMahon is acknowledged as a national expert in the area of People Management and Employee Relations. He has over 30 years’ experience working as a presenter cum lecturer in the area, across a host of reputable public and private sector, 3rd level educational and academic institutions.