Managing Sickness Absence in Northern Ireland
The purpose of this event is to provide you with expert legal knowledge and practical advice on how to effectively manage sickness absence in your organisation. The event aims to:
- Provide you with an update on the legal framework surrounding sickness absence management, including a case law round-up of pertinent cases which will influence your organisation’s sickness management processes.
- Identify and help rectify common mistakes made by HR practitioners and line managers in handling complex sickness absence issues. You will receive expert advice on how HR practitioners should handle long term sickness absence, recurrent short periods of absence and absence caused by mental health problems.
- Advise you on how HR and line managers should interact with medical experts in order to achieve the best possible outcome when handling an OH referral.
- Help to seamlessly use early intervention and prevention to make a difference to people’s lives whilst producing a return on investment for the organisation.
- Advise you on how HR should interact with medical experts in order to achieve the best possible outcome in managing sickness absence issues.
- Give you the opportunity to pose your questions to our OH expert Dr Phil McCrea, Chief Medical Officer for BHSF.
- Provide definitive explanations and answers to complex questions surrounding the calculation of holiday pay in relation to sickness absence and other forms of absence.
Why is this event important for you?
Managing sickness absence is an essential function for employers and effective management can help boost productivity and employee well-being. Effective strategies should both help employees stay in work and return to work, but also provide support for them when they are unable to attend work.
The CIPD reported in their Health and Well-Being at Work 2019 survey that the average level of employee absence in this reporting year (5.9 days per employee per year, or 2.6% of working time lost) was the lowest ever recorded.
However, unsurprisingly, the CIP reported that mental ill health is increasingly prevalent as a cause of both short-and long-term absence.
Course overview/outline programme:
- Absence Trends
- A ‘Case Law Round Up’ reviewing key absence-related cases including cases at the Northern Ireland Industrial Tribunal
- How to get the most from an OH referral
- Use of early intervention and prevention to make a difference to people’s lives
- Guidelines on Working Time Regulations in relation to absence management
More value from this event
In a new and innovative absence management technique developed by Dr Philip McCrea, he will outline how sickness absence can be more effectively managed from day one by utilising OH services early. Employers will gain comprehensive and relevant information regarding illness to enable more effective absence management and manpower planning and employees have access to medical advice and guidance from Day one of their illness. Dr McCrea will outline, using a case study example, how this can lead to a significant reduction in sickness absence with an uplift in Employee wellbeing.
Your pack will include detailed and comprehensive notes to take away after the event, along with free templates, including a ‘Return to Work’ proforma and a sample OH referral letter.
This event is brought to you by Legal-Island in association with Worthingtons Solicitors who will provide a free 30-minute legal consultation to delegates who sign up for a consultation on the day.
Who is it for?
This event is for HR professionals who are responsible for employment law matters and other managers who are involved in developing absence management strategies within their organisation.
Where and When?
9.15am - 4.30pm on Thursday 23rd April 2020 at The Merchant Hotel, Belfast
In association with: