Certified Mediator Training: Become an Accredited Mediator
This event has now been postponed until Autumn 2017
An intensive eight-day, 60-hour programme from Legal-Island in Partnership with Acrux Consulting and in Association with Hayes Solicitors.
For enquiries and bookings please email Vanessa@legal-island.com or call 01 401 3874.
Introduction - Why this event and why now?
Mediation is a fantastic way to help people and organisations settle their differences. It’s not only an alternative to litigation, it can also focus on re-building relationships between disputing parties.
Mediation skills are incredibly transferable and the demand for trained mediators is about to greatly expand now that the Mediation Bill has been added to the priority list in the legislative programme for government – we expect the Act to be in force before the summer of 2017.
The Bill promotes mediation as a viable, effective and efficient alternation to court proceedings and, when commenced as an Act, will require solicitors and barristers to inform clients about mediation options.
Would You Like to Become an Accredited Mediator?
Legal-Island has trained many mediators under the expert eye of Gerry Rooney, former President of the Mediators’ Institute of Ireland and now Director of Acrux Consulting. Gerry is one of the most experienced mediators in Ireland and a brilliant trainer of mediators.
Legal-Island and Acrux Consulting have been considering training another cohort of mediators to coincide with what we expect to be a Mediation Act in the spring of 2017. We’ve been joined in our thinking by Breda O’Malley, a partner specialising in employment and commercial matters at Hayes Solicitors. Breda is also a Council Member of the Irish Commercial Mediators Association, the Mediators Institute of Ireland and One Resolve Mediators Panel and Breda has been the independent mediator (appointed by other law firms) for workplace and business disputes.
Would you be interested in undertaking accredited mediator training with Legal-Island, Acrux and Hayes solicitors?
- You will undertake 8 days of challenging perceptions and role-playing – but you’ll need that to feel confident enough at the end to attempt mediation for real.
- You’ll have the guidance of experts throughout the course and after, should you want to discuss mediation matters on a confidential basis.
- We will accept only 9/12 trainees in a group, so you maximise your role-playing experience.
But it will be some of the most rewarding training you will ever do.
After attending you will be a Certified Mediator:
On successful completion of the programme and assessment, participants will be Certified Mediators and will qualify for Certified Membership of the Mediators Institute of Ireland and other professional mediator bodies (such as the Association for Conflict resolution). Your mediation skills will be transferable and could help take your career in a whole new direction.
Draft Programme Outline
- Develop the knowledge and skills required to be an effective mediator.
- Understanding Conflict Resolution Theory.
- Negotiation Theory.
- Mediation Principles and Process.
- Communication & Mediation Skills.
- Personal Awareness.
- Participant Rights and Related Legal Implications.
- Developing appropriate ADR solutions.
- Privilege and Confidentiality in the process.
Draft Programme Methodology
The programme is delivered as follows:
- Pre-coursework, self-assessments and case study provided on CD with full learning resource pack.
- 7 days (50 plus hours) tutor led experiential learning and supervised skill development by experienced ADR specialists and Mediators at advanced practitioner level.
- Assessment of skills (Day 8).
- Written coursework to be submitted within an agreed timeframe after the programme based on a suitable case study.
60 hours – including seven days tutor led training and a one-day assessment (eight days in all). In addition, participants are required to complete approximately 20 hours of self-learning during the programme.
By the end of this programme participants will have:
- Developed a thorough understanding of the various aspects and dynamics of dispute resolution.
- An ability to facilitate the management of workplace and commercial conflict.
- A thorough understanding of dispute resolution methods including mediation.
- Practiced the skills necessary for effective Mediation.
- Gained an internationally recognised certification in Mediation.
Who is it for?
This event is for those who wish to become accredited, competent mediators, capable of helping parties resolve their disputes via mediation. Our focus will be on workplace and commercial disputes. Whilst mediation skills are largely transferrable, certain areas of mediation, such as family mediation, require additional training outside the scope of this course.
Dates & Duration:
Standard Cost Per Delegate: €3,500
Early Bird Cost Per Delegate: €3,250
Trainers & Speakers:
Training will be led by Gerry Rooney, former President of the Mediators’ Institute of Ireland and now Director of Acrux Consulting. Gerry is one of the most experienced mediators in Ireland and a brilliant trainer of mediators. Gerry may be joined by other MII certified mediators and trainers.
Breda O’Malley, a partner specialising in employment and commercial matters at Hayes Solicitors will also be delivering some guest lectures on legal aspects of mediation in Ireland. Breda is a Council Member of the Irish Commercial Mediators Association, the Mediators’ Institute of Ireland and One Resolve Mediators Panel and Breda has been the independent mediator (appointed by other law firms) for workplace and business disputes.
For enquiries or bookings:
- Email Vanessa@legal-island.com
- Call 01 401 3874
- Book online via the green button below
Terms & Conditions
- A place will be confirmed via email on receipt of an email to Vanessa@legal-islad.com, which creates legally binding obligations for both parties irrespective of attendance on the day(s). Please complete one email per delegate.
- Please ensure a purchase order number is indicated if necessary.
- For collection of payment it is necessary to provide us with a contact name and number in your Accounts Payable Department.
- Cancellations prior to the event will incur the following charges: over 28 days - €50; 15-28 days - 50% of course fees; and 1-14 days - 100% of course fees.
- Cancellations must be received in writing prior to the event.
- Substitute delegates can be used and names changed on the days. No transfer to future events is permitted.
- Please note an admin charge of €50 is applicable for any permitted changes to bookings once confirmed including change of delegate name, re-invoicing or issuing of credit notes.
- Please note that the content for each event published above is meant as a guide only and is subject to change. We reserve the right to amend a programme or cancel an event at any time for any reason.
- A certificate of attendance is provided within ten days of the event, which may be used to obtain CPD hours/points where applicable.
- For full terms and conditions for Legal-Island events please check online at www.legal-island.ie
The programme is delivered as follows:
• Pre-coursework, self-assessments and case study provided on CD with full learning resource pack.
• 7 days (50 plus hours) tutor led experiential learning and supervised skill development by experienced ADR specialists and Mediators at advanced practitioner level.
• Assessment of skills (Day 8).
• Written coursework to be submitted within an agreed timeframe after the programme based on a suitable case study.
60 hours – including seven days tutor led training and a one day assessment (eight days in all). In addition, participants are required to complete approximately 20 hours of self-learning during the programme.
“Gerry Rooney was extremely knowledgeable, giving real life examples and was willing where necessary to deviate from the programme to enable a better understanding of the process.”
Mary Doody, Theatre Manager, Bon Secours Hospital, Galway
“Gerry was excellent - he took on board any suggestions that were made (on day 2 we asked for a slightly different format and accommodated us at such short notice and it was no bother to him).”
Jan Glynn, HR Manager, Barretstown
“Hugely enjoyable, informative and excellently presented.”
Michael Bready BL
Employment head Breda O'Malley focuses on assisting employers with issues such as unionisation and company reorganisation. She recently advised Primark and Penneys on agreed exits for a number of senior managers.
"She is such an experienced lawyer and knows how businesspeople think. She is also very honest and challenges the client in the right way," say clients.
Chambers Europe – Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2016
Breda O'Malley Partner, Employment and Commercial Law Departments
Breda practises in Employment law and leads the Employment Law team at Hayes solicitors. She advises both employers and employees on all aspects of the employment relationship. Breda adopts a commercially pragmatic approach to dispute issues, avoiding litigation for her clients where appropriate, and using her skills as an accredited commercial mediator.
Gerry Rooney Director
Gerry has 21 years in the public sector and 15 years private sector experience. Gerry investigates allegations of abuse in care, bullying and harassment, sexual harassment, disciplinary, and whistle blowing/protective disclosure. He mediates in workplace and business/commercial disputes. Gerry sits as an Equality Officer with the Equality Tribunal, and is an Adjudication Officer (Designate) under the Workplace Relations Act. Gerry is a Practitioner Member and former President of the Mediators Institute of Ireland.
Scott Alexander Head of Training and Development
Scott Alexander joined the CIPD in 1987 and is a certified member of the Mediators’ Institute of Ireland and a member of the Association for Coaching Ireland. Scott was appointed as a member of the Governing Body of Southern Regional College from 1 August 2015. Scott is also a mentor under the CO3 Mentoring Programme for chief officers in the 3rd sector and an HR Committee member for the Bruiser Touring Theatre Company. Scott has over 30 years’ experience in employment relations and employment law. He worked for the Labour Relations Agency in Northern Ireland for 14 years in a variety of roles, including collective and individual conciliation and enquiry point manager, before joining Legal-Island as its Head of Learning and Development in January 2006.
Ray Flaherty Managing Director & Senior Consultant
Ray is one of the country’s most experienced experts in Alternative Dispute Resolution, having personally conducted over 200 workplace investigations and over 100 mediations across a wide range of public, private and not-for-profit organisations. Ray has a long established track record of dealing with complex issues and reaching balanced, objective decisions following thorough analysis of the matters before him.
Mary Rafferty Founder
Mary is an accredited Practitioner Mediator and Certified Conflict Coach in private practice since 2006. She has extensive experience in the field of workplace mediation and has trained and coached in conflict-related areas in a wide range of organisations and workplaces. Mary also holds certification with the International Mediation Institute and lectures on the Workplace Mediation Module, M.A. in Dispute Resolution at Independent Colleges, Dublin.