In Brief – A Roundup of Recent Redundancy ResourcesPosted in : Supplementary Articles NI on 4 September 2020
An unfortunate consequence of the Covid-19 pandemic has been a sharp decline in output for many business and sectors resulting in inevitable redundancies. In this month’s In Brief article we outline some of the very helpful articles and resources on redundancy to help navigate this minefield.
- Redundancy Consultation During Furlough – How Do I Handle It? – Patricia Rooney, Tughans discusses how to consult with employees on furlough.
- Redundancy and Moving Employees onto Self-Employed Contracts: How Do I Handle It? - Patricia Rooney, Tughans outlines some considerations before embarking on offering self-employment in a redundancy situation.
- Giving Notice Of Termination To Employees During Furlough – Kiera Lee, Mills Selig answers a series of questions on the issuing of notice during furlough.
- The Value Of A Redundancy Policy And Top Tips – in her Employee Handbook series, Leeanne Armstrong, TLT Solicitors outlines the value of having a redundancy policy and recaps on some key legal requirements in managing redundancy situations.
- First Tuesday Q&A – the team at Arthur Cox have answered a number of key redundancy questions over the last couple of months including:
- Is an employee that rejects an offer of suitable alternative employment entitled to notice pay in a redundancy scenario?
- Can prescribed information under the ERO 1996 be given via email in a collective redundancy situation?
- What constitutes “one establishment” for collective consultation purposes?
- If an employee on maternity leave is made redundant, does her former employer have a continuing obligation to pay her statutory maternity pay?
In addition to the above we have also discussed redundancy with Seamus McGranaghan, O’Reilly Stewart Solicitors in our regular monthly Employment Law at 11 webinar series and you can listen again to the webinars or read the Q&A transcripts from the webinars.
More on Redundancy
- Dempster v The Gill Corporation Europe Ltd 
- If an employee requests voluntary redundancy is their employer still bound by dismissal procedures?
- Maxwell & Others v Tooley’s Bar Ltd 
- Redundancy Consultation and Notification - What is the Law?
- Why might an employer face criminal prosecution if a collective redundancy process is not followed correctly?
The information in this article is provided as part of Legal-Island's Employment Law Hub. We regret we are not able to respond to requests for specific legal or HR queries and recommend that professional advice is obtained before relying on information supplied anywhere within this article.