How Should an Employer Deal with an Employee’s Formal Grievance Complaint?

Posted in : First Tuesday Q&A NI on 7 November 2023
Chris Fullerton
Arthur Cox NI
Issues covered: Discipline and Grievance

If an employee has a concern or problem that they haven’t been able to resolve with their employer informally, they may make a formal grievance complaint to them. Employers should set out a grievance procedure and share it in writing with all employees, for example in their statement of employment or staff handbook. It must include who the employee should contact about a grievance and how to do so, and make clear to the employee that if the problem can’t be resolved informally, there will be a meeting with them, called a grievance hearing. It should also: set out time limits for each stage of the process, identify who to contact if the normal contact person is involved in the grievance,

Already a subscriber?

Click here to login and access the full article.

Don't miss out, register today!

Are you fully aware of the benefits of Legal-Island's Employment Law Update Service? We help hundreds of people like you understand how the latest changes in employment law impact on your business.

Help understand the ramifications of each important case from NI, GB and Europe

24/7 access to all the content in the Legal Island Vault for research case law and HR issues

Ensure your organisation’s policies and procedures are fully compliant with NI law

Receive free preliminary advice on workplace issues from the employment team at Worthingtons Solicitors

Already a subscriber, now or Register

Back to Q&A's This article is correct at 07/11/2023

The information in this article is provided as part of Legal-Island's Employment Law Hub. We regret we are not able to respond to requests for specific legal or HR queries and recommend that professional advice is obtained before relying on information supplied anywhere within this article.

Chris Fullerton
Arthur Cox NI

The main content of this article was provided by Chris Fullerton. Contact telephone number is 028 9023 0007 or email

View all articles by Chris Fullerton