At some stage in the future could you include an update at some stage on the latest Civil Partnership Law? I already have one employee in a same sex relationship who wishes to apply for Marriage Leave next year. I’m unsure what my requirement is under the law which comes into effect on 1st January 2011, I believe? Other complications include who to class as a dependent (in terms of benefits entitlement e.g. company paid health insurance for employees and dependents – normally spouses only and kids) and pension issues. A similar concern is with heterosexual couples (which I believe is covered under the law) – do companies now have to treat ‘common law’ arrangements the same as they would married couples, or do these common law arrangements need to go through a “civil partnership” to qualify? There’s a lot to consider, so any information would be good.

Posted in : First Tuesday Q&A NI on 7 September 2010
Arthur Cox
Arthur Cox
Issues covered:

The Civil Partnership Act 2004 (CPA) came into force in the UK on 5th December 2005. The Act gives same-sex couples who register as civil partners the right to equal treatment with married couples in a wide range of matters including employment, tax, and social security benefits.

A Civil Partnership is essentially a new legal relationship, and those couples who form a civil partnership will have a new legal status - that of “civil partner”.

Marital Status

It is unlawful to discriminate against an employee on the grounds that he or she is a member of a civil partnership in the same way that it is unlawful to discriminate against an employee because they are married. In addition, whatever

Already a subscriber?

Click here to login and access the full article.

Don't miss out, register today!

Are you fully aware of the benefits of Legal-Island's Employment Law Update Service? We help hundreds of people like you understand how the latest changes in employment law impact on your business.

Help understand the ramifications of each important case from NI, GB and Europe

24/7 access to all the content in the Legal Island Vault for research case law and HR issues

Ensure your organisation’s policies and procedures are fully compliant with NI law

Receive free preliminary advice on workplace issues from the employment team at Worthingtons Solicitors

Already a subscriber, now or Register

Back to Q&A's This article is correct at 02/09/2015

The information in this article is provided as part of Legal-Island's Employment Law Hub. We regret we are not able to respond to requests for specific legal or HR queries and recommend that professional advice is obtained before relying on information supplied anywhere within this article.

Arthur Cox
Arthur Cox

The main content of this article was provided by Arthur Cox. Contact telephone number is +44 28 9026 2673 or email

View all articles by Arthur Cox