Political Debates around Brexit in the Workplace: How Do I Handle It?Posted in : How do I handle it NI on 25 March 2019
This month’s problem concerns:
“As an HR Manager, I try to keep the workplace free from any political debates which might be controversial or offensive. With Brexit looming, conversations between staff have become heated and I’m concerned that someone will cross the line and act in a discriminatory manner. How do I handle it?”
Brexit has dominated the news agenda over the last two years, and it’s no surprise that it has entered the workplace. Whilst it is impossible to prevent staff from discussing the issue entirely, you are right to consider the threshold for when “work appropriate” debate crosses into discrimination territory.
In Northern Ireland, the Fair Employment and Treatment (NI)
Already a subscriber?
Click here to login and access the full article.Log in now to read the full article
Don't miss out, start your free trial today!
Are you fully aware of the benefits of Legal-Island's Employment Law Update Service? We help hundreds of people like you understand how the latest changes in employment law impact on your business.
Help understand the ramifications of each important case from NI, GB and Europe
24/7 access to all the content in the Legal Island Vault for research case law and HR issues
Ensure your organisation’s policies and procedures are fully compliant with NI law
Receive free preliminary advice on workplace issues from the employment team at Worthingtons Solicitors
Find out 'How to handle it'
- An Employee has Tendered Their Resignation During a Grievance Process: How do I Handle it?
- An Underperforming Employee Currently Going Through the Menopause: How Do I Handle it?
- A Scheme to Give Employees the Option to Buy and/or Sell Holidays - How do I Handle it?
- A Pregnant Employee, a Care Assistant, is Starting to Find the Duties and Long Hours Difficult: How do I Handle it?
- We have an Employee who is Using Mains Electricity from the Office to Charge their Electric Car: How do we Handle it?
The information in this article is provided as part of Legal-Island's Employment Law Hub. We regret we are not able to respond to requests for specific legal or HR queries and recommend that professional advice is obtained before relying on information supplied anywhere within this article.