Data Subject Access Request from a Former Employee

Posted in : How do I handle it NI on 12 May 2015
Lindsay Gibson
Issues covered:

A former employee has requested e-mail correspondence which contains information about her. Do we have to respond to a request from someone who is no longer an employee? If so, there are thousands of e-mails that might contain details which relate to her. Can we take the position that we will not respond to her request because it is too onerous or could we charge her for the work we need to do on responding to her?

Lindsay Gibson writes:

Firstly, any individual can make a Data Subject Access Request (a “DSAR”) to an organisation which processes their personal data. So despite the former employee no longer being employed by your organisation, she still has the right to make a DSAR.

The only

Already a subscriber?

Click here to login and access the full article.

Don't miss out, register today!

Are you fully aware of the benefits of Legal-Island's Employment Law Update Service? We help hundreds of people like you understand how the latest changes in employment law impact on your business.

Help understand the ramifications of each important case from NI, GB and Europe

24/7 access to all the content in the Legal Island Vault for research case law and HR issues

Ensure your organisation’s policies and procedures are fully compliant with NI law

Receive free preliminary advice on workplace issues from the employment team at Worthingtons Solicitors

Already a subscriber, now or Register

This article is correct at 12/05/2015

The information in this article is provided as part of Legal-Island's Employment Law Hub. We regret we are not able to respond to requests for specific legal or HR queries and recommend that professional advice is obtained before relying on information supplied anywhere within this article.

Lindsay Gibson

The main content of this article was provided by Lindsay Gibson . Contact telephone number is 028 9055 3300 or email

View all articles by Lindsay Gibson