Data Protection – Disclosing Witness StatementsPosted in : Seamus Says - Employment Law Discussion on 1 November 2019
What consideration should we make when disclosing witness statements and evidence as part of a formal disciplinary or grievance process? How do we find a balance between protecting one individual's right to privacy and the other's right to know the case against them, so they have a right to a fair hearing? So how do you balance that?
Seamus: That's the aspect of the fair principles of law here. But I think, look, the issue has to be that GDPR does provide certain protections, and the idea here is that someone has given or many people have given witness statements, and they maybe don't want to be identified or the employer doesn't want to put the employee in a position where they're
Already a subscriber?
Click here to login and access the full article.Log in now to read the full article
Don't miss out, start your free trial today!
Are you fully aware of the benefits of Legal-Island's Employment Law Update Service? We help hundreds of people like you understand how the latest changes in employment law impact on your business.
Help understand the ramifications of each important case from NI, GB and Europe
24/7 access to all the content in the Legal Island Vault for research case law and HR issues
Ensure your organisation’s policies and procedures are fully compliant with NI law
Receive free preliminary advice on workplace issues from the employment team at Worthingtons Solicitors
More on Data Protection & Freedom of Information
- If employees willingly provide personal email addresses at the start of their employment and their personal email addresses were used to contact them while they worked from home during the Coronavirus Lockdown, is this a breach of data protection?
- Can we ask staff to let us know if they have been vaccinated, and can we keep a record of this?
- Does the chief executive have the right to view sensitive personal data without an employee’s consent?
- Data Protection Implications of Selling From the UK into the EU after Brexit
- Covert Recording in the 'Workplace' - When Might it be Lawful?
The information in this article is provided as part of Legal-Island's Employment Law Hub. We regret we are not able to respond to requests for specific legal or HR queries and recommend that professional advice is obtained before relying on information supplied anywhere within this article.