Can we introduce a GPS tracking system for employees who use company vehicles?Posted in : Seamus Says - Employment Law Discussion on 1 March 2019
"Can a company introduce a vehicle management system, i.e. a GPS tracking, of its employees who have personal use of their company vehicles without having an agreed policy in place? How long can information gathered by GPS trackers be stored for?"
Seamus: Okay. So, we have two aspects to the question, one about the introduction of a vehicle management system and the second is more looking at the information that's gathered and looking at maybe the data protection under GDPR implications of that.
So, just looking at the first aspect here, can you introduce a vehicle management system, lots of my clients that work in logistics or work in some sort of aspect where they're doing deliveries or
Already a subscriber?
Click here to login and access the full article.Log in now to read the full article
Don't miss out, start your free trial today!
Are you fully aware of the benefits of Legal-Island's Employment Law Update Service? We help hundreds of people like you understand how the latest changes in employment law impact on your business.
Help understand the ramifications of each important case from NI, GB and Europe
24/7 access to all the content in the Legal Island Vault for research case law and HR issues
Ensure your organisation’s policies and procedures are fully compliant with NI law
Receive free preliminary advice on workplace issues from the employment team at Worthingtons Solicitors
More on Data Protection & Freedom of Information
- Can an employer refuse a request from an unsuccessful job applicant to delete any of their data in its possession as it may be necessary for the defence of legal claims?
- If employees willingly provide personal email addresses at the start of their employment and their personal email addresses were used to contact them while they worked from home during the Coronavirus Lockdown, is this a breach of data protection?
- Can we ask staff to let us know if they have been vaccinated, and can we keep a record of this?
- Does the chief executive have the right to view sensitive personal data without an employee’s consent?
- Data Protection Implications of Selling From the UK into the EU after Brexit
The information in this article is provided as part of Legal-Island's Employment Law Hub. We regret we are not able to respond to requests for specific legal or HR queries and recommend that professional advice is obtained before relying on information supplied anywhere within this article.