GDPR: Do employers have to register with the ICOPosted in : Seamus Says - Employment Law Discussion on 5 January 2018
Q. "Under GDPR, do employers have to register with the ICO, that's the Information Commissioner's Office or anyone else?"
Keywords: ICO Registration
Seamus: The basic position is certainly under the existing legislation, DPA, the act requires every data controller and that's whether they're an organisation or a sole trader who are processing personal information to register with the Information Commissioner's Office. There's a fee that is paid. There's a form you can complete online and pay the fee and you're registered then with the ICO as a data processor.
There are some exemptions to that, but I had a look at the ICO website recently for a client and the threshold is very low.
Already a subscriber?
Click here to login and access the full article.Log in now to read the full article
Don't miss out, start your free trial today!
Are you fully aware of the benefits of Legal-Island's Employment Law Update Service? We help hundreds of people like you understand how the latest changes in employment law impact on your business.
Help understand the ramifications of each important case from NI, GB and Europe
24/7 access to all the content in the Legal Island Vault for research case law and HR issues
Ensure your organisation’s policies and procedures are fully compliant with NI law
Receive free preliminary advice on workplace issues from the employment team at Worthingtons Solicitors
More on Data Protection & Freedom of Information
- Surveillance in the workplace, can we do it? Should we do it? And is it legal?
- Freedom of Information and Exam Grades
- Can an employer refuse a request from an unsuccessful job applicant to delete any of their data in its possession as it may be necessary for the defence of legal claims?
- If employees willingly provide personal email addresses at the start of their employment and their personal email addresses were used to contact them while they worked from home during the Coronavirus Lockdown, is this a breach of data protection?
- Can we ask staff to let us know if they have been vaccinated, and can we keep a record of this?
The information in this article is provided as part of Legal-Island's Employment Law Hub. We regret we are not able to respond to requests for specific legal or HR queries and recommend that professional advice is obtained before relying on information supplied anywhere within this article.